Monday, September 1, 2014

Quinoa Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

I just threw this simple dish into the slow cooker in the morning since we had a very busy day planned and I knew I wouldn't have time to cook later.  I intended for it to be like my one pot variation on Stuffed Green Peppers, more like a casserole, but because I used home canned and frozen tomato products, it was very runny.  Turns out, runny, in this case, is delicious! Ted loved it! I've discovered another soup to add to my freezer stockpile of soups!

2 lbs Ground beef, browned
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2-3 large green peppers, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 clove garlic, minced
1 quart canned or frozen tomatoes
1 quart tomato sauce (I used home made.)
Salt
Black Pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa


1. Brown seasoned beef (I sprinkled it with seasoned salt and black pepper). Drain.

2. Throw Beef, onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and sauce into the slow cooker on high for several hours until the peppers are tender.

3. Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions.  I used my rice cooker and cooked it in chicken stock actually.

4. When the peppers are tender, add quinoa and stir.  It's done!

Notes:

I dish this up into my bowl and plop a pad of butter right on top.  Really makes it special!

I'm sure you could add additional liquid to the slow cooker at some point and cook the quinoa right in the soup, but I didn't do it that way so can not report on that.

If you use store bought canned products and it's too thick, use some beef stock to make it thin enough to call it soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! If you like my blog, become of member or subscribe! (Check out the side bar on the right.) You can also share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or email. I appreciate you!