Thursday, April 3, 2014

What Hurts

By Lisa Marie Harmon

It doesn't hurt when she steps on my booted foot
And won’t step off for at least 4 Mississippi.
Not at all….
She’s not that heavy.

It’s no big deal when she pulls the line through my lazily ungloved hand.
Is that a rope burn?
Nope.
Just a scrape.  It’s nothing.

What? No. My back is fine.  This saddle only weighs 40 pounds.
I lift with my legs,
And swing it over.
No problem.  I got it.

But sometimes, as the cold fingers of reality poke my aging body,  
I realize there may (soon?) come a day
That has no boots.
No ropes.  No saddles.


That’s what hurts. 



National Poetry Writing Month entry, day 3.
Prompt: What Hurts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! If you like my blog, become of member or subscribe! (Check out the side bar on the right.) You can also share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or email. I appreciate you!