Wednesday, January 18, 2012

FARM TIP: Spigots In Winter

We don't have too many very cold days here in Arkansas during the winter, but we do get below freezing often enough and sometimes have sleety rain that coats everything in a layer of ice.  I've found a simple and free way to keep my "frost proof" spigots free of ice and not so stiff with cold.  Feed bags do the trick! 

We've got three spigots like this in the barnyard.  

I cover each in four layers of feed bags.
 I use a paper bag first, then plastic, paper and plastic again.
The layers of bags are heavy enough not to blow off in strong wind,
but you could loop a bungie around the whole thing if you like.
Also, keep the spigot well lubricated.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! If you like my blog, become of member or subscribe! (Check out the side bar on the right.) You can also share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or email. I appreciate you!