Thursday, January 19, 2012

RECIPE: Chili


This is our family chili recipe.  It's the only chili we all really love.  It's the only chili I even like.  I think the oregano is what makes it so great.  Ted makes it the best. 

3 lbs ground beef (or goat)
2 med onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 ½ cups tomato juice
1 can tomato sauce, 15 oz
1 can, any kind, diced or stewed tomatoes, 16 oz
2-4 T chili seasoning mix, to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cans of plain beans, any kind, not in sauce,, rinced 15 oz.

Brown beef, onions and garlic in a large Chili pot. Drain if needed.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer slowly 1-2 hours.  (You may want to add the beans after the first hour to prevent them from becoming too soft.  If you are in a hurry, this can be eaten in 30 minutes!  Serve with chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and cooked gluten free elbow noodles  or cooked brown if desired.  You can also make this in the slow cooker.

I always double this recipe and add two extra cans of beans (six cans total).  I use any kind of canned beans, (navy, red, kidney, light kidney, black, baby butter, great northern) sometimes six different kinds in one batch of chili.  I also doctor this recipe up for added nutrition.  The latest batch I made included cooked, mashed eggplant and shredded broccoli stalks.

Variations: I actually love this chili made with shredded, (not ground) cooked, turkey breast instead of beef. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! If you like my blog, become of member or subscribe! (Check out the side bar on the right.) You can also share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, or email. I appreciate you!